Wednesday, February 02, 2011

brooklyn boheme



I'm a big fan of documentaries. they are my favorite genre of film and with netflix and the internet, I eat 'em up like oreos. I saw something tonight that is worth giving props to. as a member of the private arts club, norwood, I am privvy to all types of fun screenings, book readings and exclusive events hosted by the artists that create them. it is my love of such artistic communities that led me to join norwood in the first place, so what a pleasure when I caught the rought cut screening of doc, brooklyn boheme hosted by filmmaker nelson george documenting the brooklyn neighborhood of fort greene and the artists it fostered from spike lee to chris rock to rosie perez to erykah badu to branford marsalis to talib kewli and beyond. it was in the late 70's, early 80's when this hood served as a hotbed of african american urban art culture like an addendum to the harlem renaissance. it home to me from 1998 - 2002 so I know its magic. if you've seen any spike lee film, you know the place and the vibe. keep an eye out for this film, rich with new york history and some brooklyn moon snaps to the producers of the piece. no sleep till.

1 comment:

Safra said...

this is hot. good post

no need to leave, google it here

Google